Wednesday, August 8, 2007

The blog days of summer


I usually go on a trip or two during the summer, but this year I'm mostly hunkered down at home, thanks to a dearth of funds. I'm barely able to pay the rent these days, and I've been feeling pretty sorry for myself. But then I came upon the Global Rich List.

Just type in your annual income (make sure $ is selected if you live in the U.S.) and hit the "Show me the Money" button. I was pleasantly surprised to see that, when it comes to the richest people in the world, I'm in the top 1 percent. I sure don't feel like I'm rich these days, but the Global Rich List does put things into perspective. (For example, last week I took a friend out to dinner and spent what would be about two months' salary for some people, including many Iraqis. According to a recent study by Oxfam International, about 43 percent of the Iraqi population is living in "absolute poverty," which means they're earning less than $1 a day.) I went to the Oxfam America site and made a donation to Oxfam's Global Emergency Fund.

I vowed not to go into any rants in this blog, and I'll stick to that vow. But that doesn't mean I can't encourage my readers -- both of you -- to donate to a worthwhile organization.

"Whoa! I'm rich!"

No comments: